OUR MISSION is to inspire and enable more women and girls to explore sound and music technology.
Yorkshire Sound Women Network aims to do this by:
- Building a network where women and girls can build community and grow their confidence in sound and music practices;
- Creating a mentor based environment where knowledge is shared and opportunities are created to learn through mentoring;
- Making equipment available to people who might not have previously had access to it and running a wide range of events, workshops and courses which women and girls can access;
- Being a vehicle of change within the sound technology industry, working for more diverse representation within this field.
YSWN aims also focus on strategic priorities around education and industry:
To improve education opportunity for girls and women
- To further sensitise education providers to come up with solutions to decades of poor engagement of women and girls in digital technology industries.
- To influence the perception that music and sound digital technology education is for ‘geeks’ and males.
- To increase and retain the number of women and girls entering sound and music digital technology fields at school level, through further and higher education.
- To increase the number of BAME students entering sound and music digital technology education.
- To enhance creativity with the sound and music digital technology curriculum in ways which attract more women and girls.
To engage relevant industries in changing practices
- To further sensitise industry to address its recruitment and retention strategies for attracting and valuing women and girls and BAME candidates in their workforce.
- To provide better opportunities specifically for women within the sound and music industries.
- To educate music and sound industry employers and challenge the decades old gender gap which has not been closing since 2002.
- To provide alternative education/work place development routes into these industries, as well as into formal education.