– Thursday 1st September 2016
– Time: 6.30 – 8.30 pm
– Venue: DINA Gallery & Cafe, 32 Cambridge Street, Sheffield, S1 4HP
Many thanks to Sara Brannan for writing up this month’s meeting!
Sara writes –
The YSWN September meet up had Deborah Egan presenting her work.
A few years ago Deborah managed and produced an ambitious project called The Port of Sheffield, which was a walking route and audio guide to the Lower Don Valley in Sheffield. This route was over 3.7 miles along the canal and river and an app was developed to download before setting off on the walk. This app linked through GPS to stored audio files on Google maps, that would automatically play when the participant entered a particular point. The audio tracks featured a number of people talking about the cultural history, the social heritage and also included industrial sounds. A number of high profile people worked on the project: Martyn Ware (Human League, Heaven 17), Richard Hawley and Jessica Ennis also recorded sound pieces. Deborah’s idea behind the project were to involve people and local communities with these forgotten spaces and to collect and share personal histories from people who lived, worked and observed the canal. The map and the audio files can be accessed here: mapcodebuild.co.uk/pos
We also discussed a number of things after this presentation. For the second year running DINA is hosting the CONNECT THE DOTS festival which will take place 11th – 25th November. They have just released the call out, with deadline for application on 16th September. We were discussing how we could apply with regards to the Catalyst festival, incorporating workshop leaders and participants on site during the weekends of the festival, and looking towards a performance incorporating the theme of the sea.
Some other things happening nearby this month
- On the 13th September Sheffield University are holding an Acoustics Exchange Day. Lucy & Laura are giving a short presentation about YSWN at this event.
- 16th September workshop – Production Sound Recording with Laura Clough at the University of Huddersfield (12pm, ages 11+). This session will explain how production sound recording techniques capture audio – mostly dialogue-on set.
- 23rd September University of York Interactive Audio Systems Symposium
- 30th September University of Sheffield through the Festival of the Mind is opening its doors for a researcher’s night.
Don’t forget, you can ask to join our Sheffield YSWN Facebook group or Sheffield YSWN Google group. Please also check out our series of workshops taking place in Sheffield as part of Catalyst:Festival of Creativity.
For any further queries about these events please contact us by email on firstname.lastname@example.org