Yorkshire Sound Women Network is pleased to publish its Annual Review for 2018-19.
Download the review here (opens PDF) to read about YSWN’s achievements during our first year as a Community Interest Company and plans for the coming year. You can also look at YSWN’s finances to see where our funding has come from and how it’s been spent.
“I’ve come away with new contacts, knowledge about new equipment and creative ways in which to use equipment, different styles of music/sound and perspectives on this.”
“Really enjoyed today, thank you YSWN! Was a wonderful opportunity to try things hands-on. I want to continue learning production / DJ-ing.”
– Level Up! in Music Production delegates
Some of YSWN’s highlights from 2018-19 have included:
• Formally launching as a Community Interest Company, with an industry launch event and gig at DINA, Sheffield in September 2018
• Launching our new redesigned website, supported through Arts Council England’s Grants for the Arts
• Commissioning and disseminating industry-facing advocacy tools thanks to funds from Rosa’s Voices from the Frontline programme, including our Volume Up! video:
• Investing in staffing: recruiting a part-time Coordinator supported by Kirklees Council and building a pool of freelance YSWN Associates with a wide range of skills and expertise
• Delivering our first Level Up! in Music Production event for the YSWN community at the University of Huddersfield, March 2019 – including training, music-making workshops and careers advice
• Seeing the fantastic breadth of activities and events organised by regional groups such as Calderdale Sound Women Network, YSWN York, SONA (Sheffield), YSWN Huddersfield Makers, Leeds Sound Women and Malta Sound Women Network
• Securing funding for new programmes of work linked to priorities in the YSWN Business Plan, thanks to a fixed-term Development Manager post supported by the University of Huddersfield. Funders have included Arts Council England, Arts Fundraising & Philanthropy, individual supporters, International Society for Music Education (ISME), Kirklees Council Leeds City Region Business Rates Pool, Music for All, National Foundation for Youth Music, Rosa Voices from the Frontline programme and the University of Huddersfield.
• Establishing and developing a wide range of partnerships within the music industry, education and cultural sectors, including becoming a Spotify EQL Partner to help inform equity work.
Over the coming year (2019-20), we plan to:
• Deliver YSWN Amplify, funded by an Arts Council England National Lottery Project Grant. This will support three unique artistic projects to spread the reach of YSWN-affiliated groups across Yorkshire – and even further afield. The projects will enable members of groups in Calderdale, Huddersfield and Sheffield to increase their music technology skills and develop artistically, while engaging new local participants and audiences. It will also strengthen YSWN’s core, contributing towards development, fundraising and marketing to sustain our future as a Community Interest Company, raise our profile and build industry partnerships.
• Deliver two major music education initiatives supported by Youth Music: the WIRED and Go Compose projects – both offering music and technology workshops for girls in Leeds, Doncaster and Huddersfield, as well as a Yorkshire-wide schools/community group tour of outreach workshops and work-placement/mentoring opportunities for young women.
• Establish paid traineeships for women to get hands-on work experience with local music industry organisations, supported by Kirklees Council via Leeds City Region Business Rates Pool.
• Deliver further YSWN Level Up! events to build confidence, skills and knowledge for women interested in audio.
• Work with KC Communications & business coach Natasha Strong to broaden our community engagement and develop training and support services for the music industry.
To find out more about how you can get involved with YSWN and support our activities, visit our Get Involved page.
Download a copy of our 2018-19 Annual Review here.
26 March, 2020
20 February, 2020
6 February, 2020